Friday, May 23, 2008

49. Talk to my sister about all the things she needs to know before she leaves for college

I don't know when I deemed myself my sister's protector. Perhaps it was the time on the bus when a boy made her cry and I threatened to punch him in the nose if he ever so much as looked at her the wrong way again. Needless to say, I have not had to resort to any physical violence in the protection of my sister, but being older certainly has had its challenges.

There was no one to help me with my math homework (trying explaining the quadratic formula over the phone from 200 miles away), no one to tell me what boys are really like, and no one to give me the least bit of college advice. And so, as a task on the 101 list I decided to give me sister the talks of all talks... the "college talk."

Now let me preface by saying that my fabulous little sister will be graduating in June from high school and will be heading off to the University of Virginia (what the heck is a Wahoo anyway?). She has senioritis to it's full extent. Being the older sister that I am I tend to give advice and tidbits of treasure at every turn, but last night it hit me that now was the time to reach for the big guns.

We were on a walk in town discussing the trials and tribulations of being single girls in a small town when I asked how she was feeling about college. I told her about parties and studying and friends and boys and the wonders of microwaved meals. She asked questions, I told stories, and in the end I think we both feel better about her going to college. This may be only one of many talks we have before she leaves, but it was nice to really talk to her and hard to believe that my little sister is heading out into the real world (or the pseudo reality that is college at least).

No comments: