Friday, May 16, 2008

40. Decide what is the next step.

Yes, this may sound incredibly ambiguous, and really the task was just as uncertain as the wording.

Every time I was asked what I want to be when I grew up, my answer changed. I wanted to be a doctor, president, movie star, an archaeologist. I watched The Today Show just to see Katie Couric so I could one day do her job. I had no idea what I was going to do when I graduated high school, but I somehow managed to matriculate to a four year university. College flew by, as it does for everyone and again I was faced with the question, "What's next?" And I was clueless. I sat down with a school counselor and bounced some ideas back and forth and then he made the fatal error. He told me there was no way I could go to law school. See this was September, the LSAT was less than a month away, and having never really given this thought before I was in no way prepared. Well, I'd show him. And show him I did.

I ended up at a pretty decent law school the fall after graduation. Finished up the first semester and then had to return home where I landed the aforementioned library gig. And while I do greatly enjoy it here, the County leaves something to be desired. The Dixie Chicks may have longed for Wide Open Spaces, but when the only thing in those spaces is cattle, you often get the urge to run. So I set forth task #40.

I have been going back and forth on this issue before the 101 list was even an idea stewing in the Best Friend's mind. I have looked at other locations both far and near. I have browsed through the local community college's summer schedule, and even enrolled in a class (which I have since dropped haha). I have made pro and con lists all over the place. And finally, a decision has been reached.

The library will have to put up with me a big longer. Which probably means the geek squad will only bring me further into their realm. I have decided to attempt to go back to law school. This time, as something more than an in-you-face-counselor! move. I will retake the LSAT actually studying this time. I'll get to a more financially stable place in my life. And then, once I finally receive a big packet from some prestigious law school (as opposed to the little envelope that can hold nothing more than the Dear John letter), I'll bid ado to Conan, Nick Burns, and the rest of the library entourage and try my hand in the world of barristers.

No comments: