Thursday, June 3, 2010

76. Go to the zoo

There is just something about the zoo that makes me smile. I just can't walk through the zoo without feeling about 8 years old again. And with the National Zoo practically in my backyard I had no reason to go. So on my long Memorial Day weekend, I set out with a friend into one of the first sweltering hot days of the year and headed to the zoo.

The animals seemed to be taking the hot day as a cue to stretch out and nap. It was so fun to see all the animals being lazy. I wish I had gotten a picture of the elephant who was comically rolling around in the huge pool, cooling off. He seemed to be having so much fun.


It is so interesting and amazing to be able to walk around the zoo and see animals from all different areas of the world. We walked through the rain forest, almost literally, and birds flew around us, monkeys scattered about, and beautiful sting rays floated in the pool below. I am so glad that I took a few hours and walked around the zoo (and through the "misters" ahhhh), sort of escaping the reality of hustle and bustle city life to enjoy some time near the animals.

No comments: