Sunday, May 30, 2010

45. Float the river


When I started this list "the river" was the Shenandoah. Now, around two and a half years later, I've had some big changes in my life, including a move to another part of the state. Now, "the river" is the Potomac, so when I set off with a friend to have some Memorial Day weekend fun, I thought why not check this off the list!

During some exploring several weeks ago, I came across a marina that rented canoes and kayaks that you could take out into the marshy areas on the Potomac River just north of Mt. Vernon. And so, we set out with plenty of sunscreen and a picnic lunch (gotta love combining 101 tasks, see next post!), and off we went.


It was very relaxing and lot of fun, and the weather was lovely (though a bit more overcast than I had hoped). The marsh lands were not something I had ever been familiar with before, and so paddling around was really interesting. We saw all sorts of beautiful birds, including a crane and a hawk doing some fishing, as well as some turtles sunning themselves (unfortunately, my camera skills were not as swift as my rowing skills). The foliage was very different and had a sort of calming influence. It was hard to believe that we were only minutes away from the hustle and bustle of D.C.

No comments: