Monday, April 5, 2010

65. Bake and decorate a fabulous non-birthday cake

This list has really allowed me to stretch myself and try a lot of new things. It has really opened me up to some creative endeavors that I have fully enjoyed. Cake decorating seemed like it could be a fun and useful skill to have, so I added it to the list oh so long ago. When I had the girls over for our fifth Harry Potter book club meeting, I figured it would be the perfect time to try out this task. After a trip to Michaels and Walmart I realized that cake decorating tools did not come cheap and this was not an art form one simply dabbled in. So I bought some food coloring and a few icing tips and headed home, hoping that my lack of tools would not lead to a lacking cake.


After a few disastrous moments in the beginning (the first of which was one layer of the cake coming out of the pan in about twelve pieces), things started to look up and I really got into it.



I was pretty proud of the final product. And most importantly, it was quite yummy. I don't believe I will ever venture into full fledged cake decorating, but I think this may be something I try again. Perhaps in the form of cute cupcakes.

No comments: