Thursday, December 17, 2009

90. Take a mental health day with absolutely no agenda

Whew! Who knew how difficult this would be! When I realized that I had some hours that I needed to use or lose at work, I picked a random Friday to take off. So taking the mental health day, check! However, as soon as I knew I had the day off I started mental list making. To Do lists, both fun and practical were racing through my head. I knew I had to stop, so I enlisted the help of a friend who also had the day off. He kept me on track, by keeping me off track so to speak.

Several times I felt myself getting aggravated because I was "wasting" a day off. But, the more I thought about it the more I realized this was exactly what I needed. A day to just be. To let whatever happened happen. A day to not give in to the lists and the obligations and the million other things that pull me in all directions.

In the end, it was a great day. We started it out by braving the cold wind and going on a tour of the George Washington Masonic Temple which is almost literally in my back yard. At the top we got some great views of the city.
The majority of the rest of the day was spent Christmas shopping and napping though I did sneak in a trip to the grocery store which was productive (but not planned!).

We rounded out the day with my first ever visit to the National Christmas Tree. All in all, a great way to enjoy the most wonderful time of the year!

No comments: