Monday, June 9, 2008

51. Go to a wine tasting








In my quest to become the posh and well-rounded person that I aspire to, I added the task of going to a wine tasting. On the rare occasion that I go out to some place nice for dinner and am looking at the wine list or hoping to buy a bottle of wine and instead find myself staring down the rows of bottles I am always completely clueless about what I'm looking at or even looking for.

I have always been a smidge jealous of people who seem so at home in the world of wine. They know exactly what should be paired together, they swish the wine around in their glass, sniffing (for what I don't know) and then sip it delightfully during their meal or gathering. What the heck is all this about? I had no idea, but I was determined to find out.

Here I must admit that though I have indeed crossed this off my list, I am still far from a wine connoisseur.

Last weekend as a jump start to the Best Friend's bachelorette party, we decided to head outside Richmond to James River Cellars. It was a quaint little place where we sampled some wines and then went on a tour where the whole wine making process was explained to us. Learning how wine is actually made was really interesting and our guide was great. I ended up purchasing a bottle of wine which is now at home in my wine rack.

I'm hoping that I can go to some other vineyards in the new future. With so many practically in my backyard it is a shame not to experience all they have to offer while moving along in my quest to be a connoisseur!

No comments: